Tennessee opens the football season with the Bowling Green Falcons Saturday in Nashville. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. ET on the SEC Network. Here are 15 tidbits leading into the game:
- Tennessee comes into the game at No. 25 in the AP poll. This marks the first time since 2008 the Vols have been ranked in the preseason.
- Bowling Green has won the MAC’s eastern division two years in a row and is picked to do so again in 2015.
- The Falcons scored a win over a Power Five team last year when they defeated Indiana, 45-42, in week three.
- The Vols played a school-record 21 true freshmen in last year’s opener vs. Utah State. Head coach Butch Jones said Monday that UT could play up to 22 vs. Bowling Green.
- The Falcons had 55 scoring drives in under three minutes in 2014.
- UT has never lost to a current MAC school. Jones is 23-4 all-time against MAC schools.
- Tennessee hasn’t opened the season in Nashville since obliterating Wyoming 47-7 in the capital in 2002.
- Bowling Green’s offense averaged nearly 433 yards per game last season. They return all 11 starters from that unit.
- Several key contributors on Tennessee’s roster hail from the Nashville area, including running back Jalen Hurd and defensive end Derek Barnett.
- The Falcons are 4-7 all-time vs. the SEC. They have never played Tennessee.
- Tennessee is currently favored by 21 points (Via 5Dimes).
- Bowling Green running back Travis Greene is on the Doak Walker Award watch list this season after rushing for 949 yards and 12 touchdowns a year ago.
- Green’s offensive line is one of the most experienced in college football with 125 combined starts, good for No. 2 in the country behind UCLA.
- The Vols have not lost to a team from the state of Ohio since falling to Cincinnati, 35-0, in 1904.
- Siri is still pulling for the Vols. When asked who her favorite college football team is, she replies, “I always like to root for the underdog. I guess that makes me a fan of Tennessee right now.”
Photo by Ben Ozburn
Edited by Jordan Dajani