The oh so familiar feeling of guilt after indulging in our sweet tooth is no more with these homemade peanut butter cups. They are healthy and protein filled so that you get the sugar fix you crave along with the energy you need.
- 2 bags (12 oz.) dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup creamy low fat peanut butter
- 2 scoops vanilla or plain flavored protein powder
- 2 Tbsp. margarine
- Mini muffin liners
- First, line a baking sheet with 30 mini muffin liners.
- Melt one of the 12 oz. bags of chocolate chips in a double boiler pot on VERY low heat. Stir frequently or it will burn easily.
- After the chocolate is completely melted, take a small spoon or ice cream scoop and spoon the chocolate into the muffin liners, filling it about 1/3 of the way up. Carefully drop the baking sheet a few times on the counter to get the bubbles out, and put them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the first layer of chocolate is chilling, take the peanut butter, protein powder and margarine in a bowl and mix until it is smooth.
- Take the baking sheet out of the freezer and spoon small amounts of the peanut butter mixture into the cups. Leave room for another layer of chocolate.
- Put the baking sheet back in the freezer for another 15 minutes. While the cups are setting, melt the other 12 oz. bag of chocolate chips and again be very careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Work fast, and top off the cups with the final batch of melted chocolate. Before serving, let them chill for another 15 minutes.
- Store in the freezer in an airtight container and enjoy.
Edited by Jessica Carr