Fire breaks out in Communications building, students evacuated

Monday, Oct. 5, a fire in the Communications and Student Services building caused students to be evacuated from the building.

[title_box title=”Breaking news: Fire breaks out in Communications building, students evacuated”]

On Monday, Oct. 5, a fire in the Communications and Student Services building caused students to be evacuated from the building.

There was smoke in the halls. Emergency officials were called to the scene to see how serious the fire was.

According to John McNair, director of technology for the College of Communication and Information, the visibility smell of the smoke was enough to make somebody report a fire.

“There was actually some sort of combustion somewhere,” McNair said.

Nobody was injured in the incident. The alarm went off at approximately 4:40 p.m. and students, faculty and staff were not allowed back into the building until approximately 5:10 p.m.

While waiting for the building to be reopened, Abbey Levenshus, assistant professor of advertising and public relation, continued an advising meeting with several students outside of the building. Other students, faculty and staff waited to return to their interrupted work.

McNair advises students to pay attention to fire drills.

“Make sure you stay safe and alive, so get out,” McNair said. “Everybody appeared to do this today.”

Featured image by Ryan McGill

Edited by Courtney Anderson